Do you want to have a freshly shaven look with all convenience and comfort while shaving? In order to have both of them, you will need to pick the best electric shaver for head.
As you know, modern electric shavers are wireless devices for shaving, with oscillating or rotating blades behind a metal guard. Electric shavers are proven time savers! They are more practical, more advanced and ideal solution for all hair and skin types.
Regardless if you prefer dry shaving or wet shaving, or if you have thick or fine hair, electric shavers will guarantee you a clean, close, and rapid shave.
Most Electric shavers come in two types: foil and rotary.
You might ask which type of electric shaver to choose, or which one is better for you.
We will define the main differences between the 2, and ultimately choose the best shaver for you.
- What is a Rotary Shaver and who is it for?
- What is a Foil Shaver and who is it for?
- What is the difference between rotary and foil shavers? Foil vs Rotary Shaver: Which one to choose?
What is a Rotary Shaver and who is it for?
A rotary shaver
A rotary shaver usually comes with three or more circular heads moving in rotation on the full blade head. The movement of the rotation is in circular motions, with any direction you prefer while shaving.
The circular shaving heads are designed to follow the contour of your face, head, neck and any other part of your body. Due to the rotation of the heads, all the hair is captured, despite the direction of the hair growth and thickness. The rotating blades make it easier to glide over difficult and hard-to-reach areas such as the jawline, ears, Adam’s apple or, if you have higher cheekbones, etc.
The rotary shaver gives you more flexibility of movement while shaving. You won’t have any limitations when choosing which direction to shave, as they have multidirectional capabilities.
In other words, rotary shavers are spinning blades that retract into their housing (full blade head).
- These shavers are best for shaing large areas such as head, neck and arms..
- Also, if you have thicker or curly hair that grows wildly in different directions, then you may consider a rotary shaver.
- The rotary shaver is a decent choice if you don’t like much noise or higher sound, as the motor operates quieter than the foil shaver.
How it works?
As seen above, the rotary shaver comes with 3 or more circular heads moving in rotation. The blades move in a circular motion, in different directions. By that, they capture the hair inside the blades and achieve a maximum close and clean shave.
What is a Foil Shaver and who is it for?
A foil shaver
A foil shaver works differently. It comes with bouncing blades covered with foil sheet, retracted in the housing (body of the shaver).
First things first let’s understand what the foil is. It is a thin sheet of metal with holes in the foil. The function of the foil is important as it covers the cutting blades and becomes a barrier between your skin and the blades to ensure maximum security while shaving.. The foil sheet pulls the hair inside and is cut by the blades, giving a close shave. The foil shaver must be used in a straight line. The blades move in one direction, either up and down, or left and right. So, you will have to move the foil shaver in an opposite direction of the blades’ movement following the direction of your hair growth, to get the best results.
- The foil shaver offers close-cutting performance with the help of the foil. Go for it if you’re looking for accuracy and precision shaving where a specific line is necessary.
- If you have sensitive skin, you may consider the foil shaver for the better results.
- These shavers are the best option for thinner and fine hair.
- Foil shavers work well for face shaving. They work better at trimming sideburns and styling.
How does a foil shaver work?
As seen above, the foil shaver consists of bouncing blades covered with a foil sheet, and the body of the shaver. The foil sheet pulls the hair inside, where the hair is cut by the blades, giving you the closest and smoothest shave.
What is the difference between rotary and foil shavers?
Foil vs Rotary Shaver: Which one to choose?
Now let’s understand the differences between rotary and foil shavers, see the pros and cons of both the shavers and summarize their advantages and disadvantages.
Here are 5 main differences between rotary and foil shavers:
- The blade of the foil shaver is designed to move in one direction – a straight line, either upward and downward, or left and right. The blade of the rotary shaver is designed to move in multi-direction – in circular motions.
- Foil shaver gives you precision and the closest shave when the foil pulls the hair inside and oscillating blades cut them.
- Foil shaver is for thinner, fine and straight hair. Rotary shaver is for straight, as well as, for coarse and thicker hair.
- Foil shaver is considered to be the sharpest, however, they are the loudest! It has a higher volume while shaving and can be noisy with a buzzing sound. Rotary shaver operates in much lower volume without causing any noise or high-pitched sound.
- Foil shaver is for those with fine facial features. It nicely does its job with small and gentle areas, good for detailed styling (with straight lines). Rotary shaver is for those with tough facial features. It will easily adapt to the contours of head and face, as the blade heads have more freedom with their movements. So, a rotary shaver is perfect to shave head, face and larger areas.
Here is a comparison chart for all the differences presented above.
Foil or Rotary shaver for sensitive skinUnlike foil shavers, with rotary shaver you need to go over the same area with small circular motions. On the contrary, rotary shavers aren’t too hot on the skin and allow wet shaving or even in the shower, which minimizes the risk of getting skin irritation. Thus, using in any way, the technique is the most important.
Is foil or rotary shaver betterIn a few words, choose the Foil shaver if you have sensitive skin, fine hair, and you prefer a smooth and clean shave. If you want to shave your face, go for foil.
Pick the Rotary shaver if you want to shave your head. Also, it is the best choice for those with strong facial features and dense or coarse hair.
The final say
Your eventual choice of the shaver would certainly depend on your shaving habits, hair and skin type as well as personal preferences. However, we hope this article will help you in your decision making process.
- The cleanest and smoothest bald shave ever? Top 10 Shaving Creams 
- Electric Shaver vs Razor: What’s The Difference and Which One to Choose? [2023 Definitive Guide]
- How to Shave your Head? [Updated 2023 Ultimate Guide]
- How to care for a shaved head [Ultimate guide]
- Shiny bald head: How to add or eliminate the shine? 
- Top 13 ways to stop shaving rash on head [new research 2023]
- Top 8 Best Aftershaves for Men’s Head and Face in 2023